Friday, March 21, 2008

Under-Performing Apparel


Smart, intelligent, reactive and performance textiles are all the rage in design these days. A recent article in Businessweek Online says we may want to consider otherwise though. 
As an avid cyclist and triathlete I have some experience with these materials, though not many of the higher end ones. I haven't update my wardrobe for quite some time actually. I've never owned any of Under Armor's apparel. 

I am skeptic of the ability of the clothes to perform at various claimed levels. I imagine the difference between wearing jeans on a bike and spandex is easily recognizable to most people. If nothing else, I know I sweat less while wearing spandex when cycling than while wearing jeans. The difference between spandex and tech-x might not be so recognizable [ a fun little mathematical expression of that; jean:spandex > spandex:tech-x]. The added performance of tech-x is not in proportion to its increased expense. It really only matters to those athletes in the top 5% who are going to be setting world records in their disciplines. Everyone else should relax, eat fewer power bars, drink less gatorade and just have fun.


racing cyclist via cycling news
nude cyclist via boys will be boys

No comments: