Monday, March 24, 2008

Time Machine


CERN builds a Large Hadron Collider [easy to digest information page here], of which the grander picture would be a step towards the Grand Unified Theory. In the mean time, in the simplest of english, it means scientists will be shooting protons at each at near light speeds. Other large issues that people bring up when talking about this are worm holes, black holes and of course time travel.

This thing is massive!




When I first read about the Large Hadron Collider, I was reminded of Earth, by David Brin, in which scientist must find a microscopic black hole that has somehow been lost in the Earth's core, threatening the destruction of the planet. In his story, the Earth is plagued by much of the problems that are actually looming on our horizon or already here. I'm not saying David Brin predicted these, or that the Large Hadron Collider will cause a black hole to be leashed up on the Earth. I was simply reminded of the book, which when I read in the mid 90s was quite gripping as I remember it. Science fiction can be used to influence science sometimes.

No comments: